Interested in early childhood education issues?
Looking to grow your leadership skills and network?
An New Jersey AEYC member?
Or do you know anyone you would like to nominate for the board?
If so, consider becoming a member of the New Jersey AEYC Governing Board! The following positions are available, with the term beginning June, 2022. Applications are open through March 4, 2022. Please consider sharing your talents and time with us!
- Vice President – Membership
Click on the image to the left to download the application form in English and Spanish, OR fill in and submit the form below. Please see detailed job descriptions at the bottom of that page.
Application Deadline: March 4, 2022
Board Member (applies to all positions)
- Approve the organization’s vision and mission and review performance in achieving it.
- Annually assess the changing environment and approve the organization’s strategy to be responsive to said changes.
- Annually review and approve the organization’s financial plans.
- Annually review and approve the Association’s annual budget.
- Approve major policies and procedures.
- Attend at least 75% of all Board Meetings
- Attend Board Orientation.
- Demonstrate leadership ability.
- Adhere to, follow, and support NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct.
- Avoid involvement in all political campaigns in the name of NJAEYC.
- Avoid all conflicts of interest with NJAEYC.
- Contribute to the financial well-being of NJAEYC and/or seek financial support from others for NJAEYC. Support efforts to increase and maintain membership.
- Be loyal to NJAEYC, always exercising board powers in the interest of NJAEYC and not for the interest of self or others.
- Keep all NJAEYC matters confidential.
- A member of NJAEYC.
- A commitment to NJAEYC and its values.
- An understanding of NJAEYC’s vision, mission, goals and objectives, and services.
- An understanding of the responsibilities and relationship of paid and volunteer staff.
- Knowledge of and influence in the early childhood community.
- Ability to understand concepts and articulate ideas.
- Proven ability to lead the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to objectively consider various perspectives in guiding major policy decisions of the Association.
Term of Office: 2 years (may serve for 2 consecutive terms)
Purpose: The Board President is the chief volunteer leader of NJAEYC who presides at all meetings of the board, the executive committee, and other meetings as required. The President is an ex officio member of all committees of the organization. The President oversees implementation of policies and procedures and ensures that appropriate administrative systems are established and maintained.
- Serve as the Chief Volunteer of the Association.
- Provide leadership to the Board, who sets policy.
- Work with and mentor the President Elect.
- Preside at meetings of the Board, the Executive Committee, the Annual meetings, and all other meetings as required.
- Developing the agenda of meetings with the Executive Committee.
- Appoint chairpersons of special committees, in consultation with other Board members.
- Serve as ex officio as a member of committees and may attend their meetings.
- Discuss issues confronting the Association with the Executive Committee.
- Help guide and mediate Board actions with respect to the Association’s priorities and concerns.
- Serve on the Finance Committee and monitors financial planning and financial reports.
- Attend the NAEYC Annual Leadership Conference.
- Attend the NAEYC Annual Conference
- Play a leading role in fund-raising activities when applicable.
- Informally assess the effectiveness of the Board activities.
- Annually assess the performance of the Association in achieving its mission.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by the Board.
- Assist in the recruitment of talent for committees.
- Represent the Association in professional and public settings.
- Assure that the appropriate committee conducts the evaluation of the paid consultants regularly, and those recommendations are made accordingly.
Term of Office: no term limit
- Serve as financial officer of the Association
- Manage, with the bookkeeper, the board’s review of and action related to the board’s financial responsibilities.
- Ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis.
- Prepare the Annual Budget with the bookkeeper and board.
- Present the Annual Budget to the Executive Committee for review and recommendations to NJAEYC Board for approval.
- Ensure development and board review of financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the Association maintains tax-exempt status.
- Sign financial forms and instruments as required.
- Ensures the safety of principal, liquidity and a competitive rate of return on investments.
- Oversee implementation of NJAEYC financial policies and guides the Board on monetary matters.
- Oversee the maintenance of monthly and annual financial records and reports including report of income, expenses, investments with the bookkeeper
- Work with bookkeeper and accountant to ensure taxes are prepared on a timely basis
NJAEYC Vice President – Membership
Term of Office: 2 years (may serve 2 consecutive terms)
- Provide member spotlight to Executive Director on a quarterly basis
- Reach out to new and lapsed members
- Conduct surveys when necessary
- Provide technical assistance, support and resources to local chapters and maintain the link between local chapters and the state affiliate
- Work with Student/University Outreach Coordinator to host meetings and develop early childhood clubs, leading to the formation of a student chapter
- Formulate a recruitment and retention plan to increase membership
- Attend Leadership Institute and Annual Conference to encourage non-members to join